Libby is a NLP practitioner, Clinical Hypnotherapist and qualified yoga teacher. Through her business, The Wellness Platform she offers well being services with a focus on the power of the brain and body connection. From one-to-one coaching to presenting at workplaces, schools and events her approach is science-backed and refreshing. Libby has worked with leading companies such as Lululemon, ZURU and Whittaker’s.
We’re excited to introduce Libby and share her career journey in wellness so far!
You started The Wellness Platform started in 2017, what challenges did you face when building your business? How did you overcome them?
I did! It started with different modalities to what I teach now. I don’t actually ever practice hypnotherapy or teach yoga! Now it is mainly workplace wellness, coaching clients & my podcast, The Wellness Platform Podcast. Building my business has always come from sharing what I do on Instagram & word of mouth, so it’s been pretty slow and steady growth. Sometimes the challenge for me comes in the slower periods- when my close friends with office jobs have consistent income and work, comparison can creep in.
As a business owner, there are a lot of elements to juggle on a daily basis. How do you prioritise your health and well being? Do you have any daily non negotiables?
There is a lot to juggle for sure! I do prioritise health and well being though so that I can be the best version of myself for those close to me & also because it is what I preach! I keep it simple though, too many complex things to add to an every day list can be another stress. I try to move daily, a walk or at home Pilates. I also take time to do things I enjoy- maybe reading a book in the sun and not feeling guilty. I also try to redirect my thoughts to be positive and compassionate. If I’m feeling extra luxurious, I’ll schedule in saunas, massages or hot yoga classes during the week!
Workplace stress is on the rise. What are three essential strategies an employer should implement to ensure the prioritization of well being in the workplace?
- Freedom to take personal wellness appointments/breaks.
- Starting meetings on a high with a team share, gratitude, meditation or a state shift activity, maybe even doing an audit to see if every meeting in the calendar is necessary.
- 1-1 check ins not only on work progress but on how individuals are doing and how they can be supported. Necessary for employees to feel cared for and heard.
What are five simple daily strategies you recommend for managing workplace stress?
- Focus on one priority at a time (where possible) – turn phone or email notifications off while doing this.
- Eat mindfully- simply take a lunch break
- Walk around the block to reset and feel air/wind on your face (shifts state and feeling the elements reminds the brain that we are safe)
- Have some breathing techniques to ground and re-centre during stressful times.
- Check in on your language. How you subconsciously talk about your stress and workload. Remember- being busy is not a badge of honour.
Where would you like to see yourself and The Wellness Platform in 5 years?
I love this question! Haven’t thought about this in a while as I’m really happy with where I am at right now and trying to enjoy it without thinking of the next thing all the time! I’d love to still be doing my speaking & workplace stuff and for it to be super consistent, I’m sure my content would have evolved a bit by then as time goes on and new modern challenges pop up for us all! I’d also like to do a bit more study some point soon. I’d love to be a Mum in 5 years time and just for everyone around me to be healthy, happy & safe!